Previous years UPSC Civil Service mains question - Art & Culture
- Safeguarding the Indian Art Heritage is the need of the moment. Discuss.
- Assess the importance of the accounts of the Chinese and Arab Travellers in the reconstruction of the history of India.
- The Bhakti movement received a remarkable re-orientation with the advent of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Discuss
- How do you justify the view that the level of excellence of the Gupta numismatic art is not at all noticeable in later times?
- Examine how the decline of traditional artisanal industry in colonial India crippled the rural economy.
- Early Buddhist Stupa-art, while depicting folk motifs and narratives successfully expounds Buddhist ideals. Elucidate.
- Krishnadeva Raya, the King of Vijayanagar, was not only an accomplished scholar himself but was also a great patron of learning and literature. Discuss.
- The ancient civilization in Indian sub-continent differed from those of Egypt, Mesopotamia and Greece in that its culture and traditions have been preserved without a breakdown to the present day. Comment.
- Mesolithic rock-cut architecture of India not only reflects the cultural life of the times but also a fine aesthetic sense comparable to modem painting. Critically evaluate this comment.
- To what extent has the urban planning and culture of the Indus Valley Civilization provided inputs to the present day urbanization? Discuss.
- Gandhara sculpture owed as much to the Romans as to the Greeks. Explain.
- Taxila university was one of the oldest universities of the world with which were associated a number of renowned learned personalities of different disciplines. Its strategic location caused its fame to flourish, but unlike Nalanda, it is not considered as a university in the modern sense. Discuss.
- Sufis and medieval mystic saints failed to modify either the religious ideas and practices or the outward structure of Hindu / Muslim societies to any appreciable extent. Comment.
- Though not very useful from the point of view of a connected political history of South India, the Sangam literature portrays the social and economic conditions of its time with remarkable vividness. Comment.
- Discuss the Tandava dance as recorded in the early Indian inscriptions.
- Chola architecture represents a high watermark in the evolution of temple architecture. Discuss.