Behavioral addiction like Gaming addiction and gambling can be less physically debilitating than a drug addiction but no less severe. But spotting an addiction to gaming can be hard. Because the consequences will be quite subtle. The addiction ultimately becomes a problem when it affects other areas of their life like their work, their relationships, and self-care.
The world health organization recently included gaming disorder in the International classification of disease (ICD - 11). It is characterized by persistent or occurring gaming behavior digital gaming or video gaming which is characterised by the following
- Impaired control over gaming
- Increasing priority is given to gaming over other life interests or activities
- Continuation of gaming in spite of negative consequences
- Negative Impact on personal, family, social, educational, occupational, or other areas of functioning.
- Recurrent behavior.
- Persistent for at least 12 months.
Gaming behavior may cause other consequences to health such as disturbances to the sleep patterns, affects physical activity, and also in terms of nutrition.
This is a very newly established disorder. So, there is not a lot of proper treatment approaches available.