Safeguarding the Indian Art Heritage is the need of the moment. Discuss
India's centuries old tangible and intangible art forms are threatened due to time, theft, foreign cultural influence, economic feasibility, social apathy, lack of political will, commercial exploitaion ....etc
Need for conservation
- To understand the history and take pride in its richness
- Art and monument dependent tourism is a huge revenue generator for state and support livelihood of artisans
- Symbol of cultural identity to present and future generations
- Use it as soft power in world politics - e.g India has a cultural agreement with 127 countries
- Digitization, restoration and preservation of manuscripts.
- Protection of monuments from pollution, vandalism, unregulated tourism and acts of nature is to be explored
- Retrieval, restitution and repatriation of idols and artifacts due to colonial plundering and contemporary thievery
- Promotion of literary, visual and performing arts through establishment of institutions of excellence and recognition of artists - e.g Lalit Kala Akademi Award
Preservation and promotion of Art heritage in India needs political mandate in the form of strengthening legislation like The Antiquity Act of 1947, Antiquities and Art Treasures Act of 1972 and also administrative and financial strengthening of institutions like ASI, Ministry of Culture in addition to creating cultural awareness through museums, Incredible India campaign, heritage tourism, Adopt a Heritage Scheme.