India faces wide range of security Issues from both inside and outside the country. Thus Security issues are broadly classified into
- Internal Security
- External Security
Threats within the boundaries of our country and threaten the integrity, peace, and law & Orders are dealt under Internal Security. They are
- Naxalism or Maoism or Left Wing Extremism LWE (Red Corridor)
- Insurgency (North East)
- Militancy (Kashmir)
- Riots and Mob Violence
Approaches to in Counter Insurgency
- First defeat the enemy and all else will follow
- First protect and support the population and all else will follow
Naxalism or Maoism or Left Wing Extremism LWE (Red Corridor)
Internal Security is the mandate of paramilitary force like CRPF or Central Reserve Police Force and its specialised wings like RAF and COBRA.
- RAF or Rapid Action Force in case of Riots and Mob Violence
- COBRA or Commando Battalion for Resolute Action who are proficient in guerrilla tactics and jungle warfare to take on Naxalism.
Andhra Pradesh and Telangana government raised their own Commando force called Grey Hound as a specialised unit under state police department to undertake counter-insurgency operations against Naxalism and Maoism in their states. They are very successful in shrinking the Naxal influence in their states.
Insurgency (North East)
Insurgency in North East is dealt by number of forces like Army, Assam Rifles and CRPF.
Militancy in Kashmir is dealt by Army, CRPF and State police force
Riots and Mob Violence
Most of the riots and mob violence are local in nature and usually controlled by the state police force. Additional reinforcement if needed comes from RAF or Rapid Action Force or any CAPF forces deployed nearby.
Threats that originate outside the boundaries of India are grouped under External Security threats. They are
- Border Security
- India-Pakistan Border
- Undisputed Boundary - International Border or Radcliffe Line - BSF or Border Security Force
- Disputed Territory - LOC - Line of Control - Army
- India-China Border
- Disputed Boundary - LAC - Line of Actual Control - Army
- Undisputed Boundary Indo-Tibetan border or McMohan Line - ITBP or Indo Tibetan Border Force
- India-Nepal Border
- SSB - Sashastra Seema Bal
- Radcliffe Line - BSF or Border Security Force
- Assam Rifles
- India-Pakistan Border
To be Updated on Paramilitary forces like CRPF, CISF, ITBP, SSB,BSF ,Coast Gaurd , Assam Rifles , Army, Navy, Airforce, Intelligence agencies like IB, RAW...etc