- The recommended books are
- A Brief History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir, Spectrum Publication - Buy from Amazon and
- History of Modern India by Bipan Chandra, orient Black Swan - Buy from Amazon or
- India's Struggle for Independence: 1857-1947 by Bipan Chandra, Penguin Publication Buy from Amazon or
- Old NCERT - Modern India - A History textbook for Class XII - Buy from Amazon
- Last three are the same books by the same author but different publication houses
- The Syllabus for Modern India starts from Decline of the Mughal Empire that started in 1707 until 1947
- There are Four things to look for while preparing History
|Trinity of History||Example 1||Example 2||Example 3|
|1.Events||Revolt of 1857||Decline of Mughals||To be updated|
|2.Background / Cause of Event||Policies of British between 1757 to 1857||Role of Aurangzeb, Later Mughals, Nobles & Rebellious states||To be updated|
|3.Consequence of Event||British response to Revolt||Fragmented Polity of 18th century||To be updated|
|4.Personalities||Rani Lakshmi Bai||Mughal Emperors, Regional Rulers, Nobles||To be updated|
- For prelims focus on Events and for mains focus on Analysis part i.e Causes and Consequences of events.
- But while writing an answer for mains most aspirants write causes and consequences of events and leave the factual information of events because the analysis part is easier to memorize and they would have forgotten the facts.
- But you can stand out only if you mention the factual data backed up with analysis.
- In addition to factual data, diagrams and flow charts are what make the UPSC topper.
Facts + Analysis + Charts / Diagrams / Maps = History Topper
To be updated....