Definition of Ecology
Oikos means Home, Logos means study. So it is the study of Home.
Ecology is the scientific study of Relationships of living organisms with each other and with environment.
Levels of Organization
- Individual - A Living being that can act and function independently.
- Population - A group of organisms of the same species in a specific area @ a particular time.
- Community - an interacting group of species that is dependent on each other for its survival in a given location.
- Ecosystem - Structural & Functional unit of Biosphere where communities interact with the physical environment and exchange materials among them.
- Biome - Terrestrial part of the Biosphere can be differentiated into different Regions which are characterized by their rainfall, temperature, flora, fauna, soil types, etc.
- Biosphere - The part of the earth where life exists.
So, the Principle of ecology is that the Components of the Ecosystem interact in such a way that is sustainable.